Day 25 of BiG’s 30 Day Bucket List Investing Challenge
Time to invest – just do it.
Build your own investing plan and strategy
We looked at investment planning and strategies in Day4, now for Step 4 building them. The analysts and commentators, gurus, ancillary service providers, some pros and cons and your wealth, business, property and share choices.
80% of people already investing, then who go to a financial planner don’t have an investment plan or strategy
Often they’ve bought a holiday home or an investment property in the same suburb in which they live
(Source: General consensus of many financial planners)
Building your plan and strategy
1. Check out the ideas in Wealth Creation Strategies and Topics and Wealth Gurus
Often wealth strategies and gurus overlap with Business Strategies and Topics, Property Investing Strategies and Topics and Share Investing Strategies and Topics, so look below at specific topics in these relevant to your planning.
- Go to Wealth Creation Strategies and Topics and use the resources inside the accordion “Managing your money| Help with financial decisions during Covid-19, after bushfires and other catastrophies”
- DOWNLOAD and FILL OUT a checklist or planner that you like
- Your ‘plan’ could be as simple as choose and go to a financial planner. Days 9, 10 and the BiG Directory show you how to do that. It’s up to you how much time and effort you spend on learning.
- Explore some of the other materials there on investing eg Are Shares or Property a Better investment?
While you’re planning you’ll get ideas from the articles, analysts and commentators or gurus. Choose one or more who resonate with you and who specialise in the area, strategy or asset class you prefer. Search their name in BiG and you’ll find more about them.
Here are just some of the people and areas for you to explore:
Mark Bouris and Yellow Brick Road
Dr Joanna Martin
Scott Pape – The Barefoot Investor
The Motley Fool
Eureka Report and InvestSmart who provide various levels of investor education and involvement. Tailored to whether you’re a beginner, experienced, or advanced.
Kerr Nielson Platinum Asset Management
- Cash, Bonds, Fixed interest
- Shares and Commodities eg gold (go to Share investment Strategies and Topics)
- Property (go to Property Investing Strategies and Topics)
- Managed Funds (not listed on ASX) – retail, wholesale, superannuation
- Property Trusts – Listed (REITs)
- Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Listed Investment Companies (LICs)
Visit this page for help plan starting your own business or building your existing business.
Some of the resources in there includes:
- FREE stuff from universities worldwide 150 Free Online Business Courses
- Business Planning
Business.gov.au has a lot of useful resources (templates etc) – Guide to Starting a Business, Writing a business plan; Mentoring services; Marketing
- Online businesses and strategies
Business (Aus gov) Online Business
- Women in Business – various business and networking sites
Apart from shares and superannuation this is one of the biggest areas where people search, and need help with a plan and strategy.
- where you’ll find a truckload of ‘advisers’ who say they can help and offer education, mentoring and coaching
- the least regulated area and where you can get into trouble from unscrupulous players
- where there’s a proliferation of providers. Last count BiG had over 400 ‘Gurus’ (remember we rate them (red/yellow/green) as quickly as we can, the list grows and changes every day. Oh to have the resources and financial backing of a Trip Adviser! So it’s pretty rudimentary, but we do the rating, to avoid sabotage and the many variables and lack of transparency, make rating difficult)
- where the gurus and the people we call “ancillary service providers” in the BiG Directory (eg people who source property – real estate agents, buyer’s agents, developers, property investment educators, investment clubs – whatever they call themselves) may have an education or mentoring service. They often claim to be successful, and their clients are, and promise to help you plan but often with no financial planning qualifications.
Many good operators are trying to clean up the industry eg Margaret Lomas and Property Investment Professionals (PIPA) see them and more in GURU COPS.
See ASX – Your investment strategy
Overlaps with ‘Wealth‘ especially superannuation.
BiG’s other resources to help you: Topics, Strategies, the pros and cons – and gurus that specialise in them.
That should be plenty for you to plan and strategise with. Let’s go investment shopping tomorrow in Day 26.
Love to get your feedback – email or leave a comment.
I’d also be delighted if you find BiG and my work helpful, and share it with friends, family and others who want to build a better life.
So subscribe get BiG’s updates – all for free)
All the very best with your money, life and investing.
Where to next:
Day 26 BiG 30Day Investing Challenge| Time to invest – just do it! Step 5 Time to shop – for your investments!
Day 27-28 W/E Enjoy it’s the weekend (maybe it isn’t for you, take two rest days) – reviewing or reflecting.
Day 29 BiG30Day Investing Challenge – Haven’t Started Investing Yet? Maybe You’re Dreamin’?
Day 30 Last Day of the BiG 30Day Investing Challenge – Investing BiG Regrets| Investing B.S.| Investing Boot Camps
What we’ve covered so far in BiG’s 30 Day Investing Challenge::
Day 1 – Take over your life, before it overtakes you
Day 2 – Where the Bloody Hell Are You?! Assessing your current financial situation
Day 3 – The Lazy Investor’s Way to Set Goals
Day 4 – Spoilt for Choice! The Many Types of Investments and Strategies Available to You – the Investor!
Day 5 – Who Can You Turn to for Investing Help? People and ‘Players’ in the Investment Industry
Days 6 – 8 Rest, Review and Reflect
Day 9 – How to choose a financial adviser and advice you can trust. Part 1 – Financial planners
Day 10 – Part 2 – Rate the Raters! Investing Rating sites, Top 10 …, Best …
Day 11 – Part 3 – The Investing Information Tsunami!Media, Books, Magazines, Websites, Blogs, Podcasts, Webinars …
Day 12 – Part 4 – Less Regulated Advisers – Analysts, Commentators and Gurus
Days 13 – 14 Rest, Review and Reflect
Day 15 – Part 5 – Less Regulated Advisers – Gurus
Day 16 – Who are the best investment gurus? Part 1| Avoid some Gurus
Day 17 – Part 2| Find a Guru
Day 18 – Part 3| Rate a Guru
Day 19 – Part 4| Choose a Guru
Days 20 – 21 – Rest, Review and Reflect
Day 22 – Time to invest – just do it! Step 1 Use Neuroscience and Psychology – Investing Hope to Reality
Day 23 – Step 2 Choose your investing team – or DIY Investing
Day 24 – Step 3 Be a smarter, more intelligent investor
Get your own independent financial advice tailored to your specific needs before taking any financial or investing action.
Conduct your own independent research on ‘gurus’ or other experts. Any hyperlinks to or quotes from any third parties are provided for reference only, their comments or opinions aren’t endorsed, adopted, or otherwise approved by BiG.
If you disagree with or dispute any of the content or materials referenced by BiG, contact us to share your concerns. We welcome feedback.