Often when people go to a financial planner, they’ve already started investing – as many as 80% with no investment plan or strategy. Often they’ve bought an investment property in the same suburb as they live, or a holiday home they believe is a good investment.
We touched on investment planning and strategies in Day 4. We’ve shown you the analysts and commentators, gurus and types of ancillary service providers and their specialties. And many associated pros and cons. So you know some of your investing options and who can help you with each for – wealth, business, property, and shares.
*We constantly add to our lists, rate the gurus, and will link to articles and other resources*
Time to plan:
Book#1 Wealth (sometimes overlaps with Books #3 Property #4 Shares)
- Build your plan and strategy:
Go to Book#1 and under “Investing Basics and Strategies | Money Management”, and
- DOWNLOAD and FILL OUT a checklist or planner
- Consider some of the material there on investing – Are Shares or Property a Better investment?
Your ‘plan’ may be simple – choose and go to a financial planner! Days 9, 10 and the BiG Directory show you how to do that.
As you plan, get ideas from the articles, or subscribe to some of the analysts and commentators or gurus. Choose one or more who resonate with you and specialize in the area, strategy or asset class you prefer. (Links to them are in the Book) Such as:
Mark Bouris and Yellow Brick Road
Dr Joanna Martin
Scott Pape – The Barefoot Investor
The Motley Fool
Eureka Report and brightday who provide different levels of investor control and education. Tailored to whether you’re a beginner, experienced, or advanced.
Kerr Nielson Platinum Asset Management
- Managed Funds (not listed on ASX) – retail, wholesale, superannuation
- Property Trusts – Listed (REITs)
- Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Listed Investment Companies (LICs)
If you need help planning to start your own business or you already run one, you’ll get some ideas on planning from the page BUSINESS INVESTING STRATEGIES |SPECIALTIES |TOPICS (Book#2).
Just a few in there are resources such as:
FREE stuff from universities worldwide 150 Free Online Business Courses.
- Business Planning
Business.gov.au has a lot of useful resources (templates etc) Writing a business plan; Mentoring services; Marketing
- Online businesses and strategies
Business (Aus gov) Online Business
- Women in Business – various business and networking sites
See GURUS and a networking site to try is Robert Gerrish – Flying Solo
Apart from shares and superannuation this is one of the biggest areas where people search, and need help with a plan and strategy.
- where you’ll find a truckload of ‘advisers’ who say they can help!
- the least regulated area and where you can get into trouble from unscrupulous players
- where there’s a proliferation of providers. Last count BiG had over 400 ‘Gurus’ (remember we rate them (red/yellow/green) as quickly as we can, the list grows and changes every day. Oh to have the resources and financial backing of a Trip Adviser! So it’s pretty rudimentary, but we do the rating, to avoid sabotage and the many variables and lack of transparency, make rating difficult)
- where the gurus and the people we call “ancillary service providers” in the BiG Directory (eg people who source property – real estate agents, buyer’s agents, developers, property investment educators, investment clubs – whatever they call themselves) may have an education or mentoring service. They often claim to be successful, and their clients are, and promise to help you plan but often with no financial planning qualifications.
Many good operators are trying to clean up the industry eg Margaret Lomas and Property Investment Professionals (PIPA) see them and more in GURU COPS.
See ASX – Your investment strategy
Overlaps with Book #1 Wealth especially superannuation.
Has resources to help you see: Topics, Strategies, the pros and cons – and gurus that specialize in them.
That should be plenty for you to plan and strategise with!
Let’s go investment shopping tomorrow!
Love to get your feedback – email or leave a comment.
I’d also be delighted if you find BiG and my work helpful, and share it with friends, family and others who want to build on their investments. (Just click on the “Subscribe” green button to the right and be part of the Challenge and receive our updates – free!)
All the very best with your investing!
the Bucket List Investing Chick
Day 26 BiG 30Day Investing Challenge| Time to invest – just do it! Step 5 Time to shop – for your investments! Day 27-28 W/E
Where we’ve been – 30 Day Challenge Blog overview:
Day 5 – Who Can You Turn to for Investing Help? People and ‘Players’ in the Investment Industry (Day 7-8 W/E)
Day 12 – Part 4 Less Regulated Advisers – Analysts, Commentators and Gurus (Day 13-14 W/E)
Day 19 – Who are the best investment gurus? Part 4| Choose a Guru (Day 20-21 W/E)