BiG Tips: The number and type of scams has exploded, particularly during and since covid. In response, on 1 July 2023 the Australian Government, via the Australian Competition and Consumer Association (ACCC) launched the National Anti-Scam Centre (NASC).
You’ll find some specific scam sites in Wealth, Business, Property and Shares. Here too are some general scams and scam sites:
- Facecrooks They claim “Our mission is to monitor and chronicle the seedy, unsavory and sometimes silly side of social media. We provide relevant and current information on how to safely use social networking sites.”
- ReportCyber (ACSC- The Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network) They say: “is a national policing initiative that allows the public to securely report instances of cybercrime… [it] leads the Australian Government’s efforts to improve cyber security. Our role is to help make Australia the most secure place to connect online. We monitor cyber threats across the globe 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so we can alert Australians early on what to do. We provide advice and information about how to protect yourself and your business online. When there is a cyber security incident, we provide clear and timely advice to individuals, businesses and critical infrastructure operators.”
- Aussie Criminals YouTube They say “Australian criminals and their Crimes. Con artists, scum bags, murderers, corrupt cops, politicians, rapists and paedophiles will find themselves in this blog. It was expanded to also cover those that ought to be charged for their idiotic disgusting behaviour. Usually high-profile people who think they are above the law.”
- Virgin Online Scams Common Richard Branson, Virgin scams, but also other famous personalities Bitcoin Scam Endorsements
- Investment scams target males aged 50-plus Trish Power, Super Guide