Updated July 2023
On 1 July 2023 the National Anti-Scam Centre, Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), was launched and now incorporates Scamwatch.
Watch out for recent scam activity and types of scams identified at Scamwatch. They give you many tips and tricks to avoid scams and you can report them there too.
“Recent Scam Activity
- Flubot scams
Since August 2021, many Australians have been receiving scam text messages about missed calls, voicemails, deliveries and photo uploads. The text messages ask you to tap on a link to download or access something. Doing so will download a specific type of malware to your device. These are ‘Flubot’ text messages.
(see too Flubot text scammers trying new tricks: Got a text that asks you to tap on a link to find out more? Just don’t do it. Choice)
- Covid-19 scams
- Medibank Private data breach
Types of scams
- Check before you invest
- Investment scams
- Cryptocurrencies – The risk of investing in crypto
- Crypto scams – Reduce the risk
- Contracts for difference (CFDs)
- Investment seminars
- Binary options – A high-risk, unpredictable investment… really just a gamble
- Land banking – A property investment scheme with many risks
- Ponzi schemes – An investment scam that recruits through friends and family
- Company director fraud – Don’t let a company director steal your cash
- Forex trading… highly complex and risky
- What to do if you’ve been scammed – Take these steps fast if you suspect a scam